Pantherette

Marvelous Captain Marvel

Watch out!! This article contains SPOILERS

Captain+Marvel+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Marvelous Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel

Ella Barrett, News Reporter

SPOILER ALERT

Marvel Enterprises made a big power move when they released their newest movie, Captain Marvel, on March 8, otherwise known as International Women’s Day. The movie stars Brie Larson as Captain Carol Danvers.

The Marvel universe is filled with token superheroes like Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor and their token sidekicks; Rhodey (War Machine), Bucky Barnes, Sam Wilson, and Loki. Marvel is also home to Bruce Banner (Hulk), Peter Quill (Star-Lord), T’Challa (Black Panther), and many other favorites.

However, only three badass female heroes come to mind; Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow), Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch), and Gamora. And none of these women have solo movies, although a Black Widow movie is in the makes.

Captain Marvel is the 21st installment in the Marvel movie franchise. Unironically, it is the first female-centric movie in the Marvel franchise. It made $153,433,423 opening weekend, making it the sixth largest Marvel debut according to cnbc.com.

Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) is a powerful Kree warrior who is stranded on Earth where she meets Nick Fury and rediscovers her past. The movie is set in 1995, and has an accompanying ‘90s soundtrack featuring hits like “Just a Girl” by No Doubt, “Only Happy When It Rains” by Garbage, and “Come As You Are” by Nirvana.

There are several times throughout the movie that leave the viewer with goosebumps. Whether it be kicking some serious alien butt, standing up for herself, or showing her crazy capabilities, viewers are awed.

(Spoiler Alert) Despite the movie being completely fictional, it had some too real scenarios. Soon after Carol arrives on Earth, she is standing in a parking lot and looking at a map when a man on a motorcycle pulls up. The man then proceeds to comment on her clothing and tell her to smile more, and yet, this isn’t uncommon for women. In retaliation, she steals his motorcycle.

This isn’t one of the powerful scenes that was mentioned earlier, though. There are scenes where Carol obliterates her enemies with her bare fists and flies through space that are clearly exhibiting her physical power, but there are other scenes that show her power on a more personal and spiritual level.

The most powerful scene, in my opinion, is a montage of her life. It starts with Carol falling through a void with taunts that she has received throughout her life like “you do know why they call it a cockpit, don’t you”, “control your emotions”, and “you shouldn’t be here” echoing.

As Carol was falling, flashes of her past were shown. She’s pushed down at the beach, she crashes a go-kart while racing boys, she falls off her bike, she falls down during a softball game, she falls off the ropes at military training, she crashes her plane, and then she lands face down after falling through the void. The words “You’re only human” echo.

Then she says, “You’re right.” And with that she stands up. She stands up after being pushed, she stands up after her go-kart crash, she stands up after she falls off her bike, she stands up in her softball game, she stands up after falling off the ropes, she stands up after crashing her plane, she stands up in the void.

As a girl, it was extremely refreshing to see a strong, powerful female lead who stands up for herself and gets the job done while wearing protective, non-sexualized clothing (cough cough Wonder Woman).

Carol then destroys everyone and everything while “Just a Girl” plays and in the end she is face to face with the man that has manipulated her for six years. She beats him with a single punch and says “I don’t have to prove myself to you.”

But there are instances all throughout the movie where Carol is faced with problems that women today are still experiencing. She is manipulated by a man, she is told to keep her emotions in check, to control herself, she is cat-called and then called a name because she didn’t respond, but every time she stands back up and defies everyone’s expectations.

Captain Marvel artfully and gracefully shows a strong, independent woman whose goal is to uncover her past and save innocent people.

Another way that this movie differs from almost all other Marvel movies is the lack of a love interest. Captain Marvel concretes the idea that a woman doesn’t need a man nor a love interest to make a movie interesting.

In the Iron Man movies, Tony Stark has Pepper Potts. Steve Rogers (Captain America) has Peggy Carter, Sharon Carter, and (dareisay) a forced subplot with Black Widow (in Captain America: the Winter Soldier). Bruce Banner (Hulk) and Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow) have a brief but cringy interaction in Avengers: Age of Ultron, Avengers: Infinity War, and it’s hinted at in Thor: Ragnarok. Clint Barton (Hawkeye) has a wife. Peter Quill (Star-Lord) and Gamora fall in love. Peter Parker (Spiderman) has a crush on Liz. Thor falls in love with Jane.

Virtually every Marvel movie has an aggressive romantic subplot except for Thor: Ragnarok (after Jane dumps Thor) and Captain Marvel. Carol Danvers is shown consistently as someone who doesn’t need a love interest and thrives without one.

The movie answers the much-anticipated question of how Nick Fury lost his eye, but leaves many unanswered. Where has Carol been for the past 24 years? Why hasn’t Nick Fury paged her until now? And will Carol defeat Thanos?

About the Writer
Ella Barrett, News writer

Ella Barrett is a sophomore at Paschal, and this is her first year on the Pantherette Staff. She runs for the Varsity Paschal Cross Country team and plays...