The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

FWISD Expands Access for Mental Health Resources for Students

Fort Worth ISD is partnering with JPS Health Network and the University of North Texas Health Science Center to bring free telemedicine services to students through a the Texas Child Health Access Through Telemedicine (TCHATT).
Penelope Maddox

JPS Health Network and the University of North Texas Health Science Center are operating a virtual program to provide free therapy to students for a limited time called Texas Child Health Access Through Telemedicine (TCHATT) throughout Texas .

Director of School-Based Health Partnerships for Fort Worth Independent School District, Ottis Godwin explains, “We partner with a lot of different mental health agencies to make sure we are connecting students with the best provider possible.” 

FWISD has had a system in place for over 20 years to make sure that everyone can receive mental health services for their specified problem, explained Godwin. 

TCHATT is just one of the many health-based programs for FWISD. The district is one of the first  to bring those types of services to students through the School-Based Behavioral Health Centers. There are   five mental health  locations throughout the district. For anyone under 18, parents are a part of the process and must give permission for services.

“Our mission is to leverage community health resources to meet the needs of families.  The vast majority of our programs are at no cost. We know that healthier students perform better.”   said Godwin. 

The process usually starts with the student or family reaching out to the campus counselor or interventionists. Parents are more than welcome to reach out to the directors directly.  From there, licensed mental health clinicians will meet with the family to discuss the needs Godwin explained.. 

Based on  the first assessment and the input of the student & parent(s), students are  connected with  the appropriate provider. Many of the offered services are provided on-site at school-based health centers or virtually if preferred.

The programs that FWISD partners with follow confidentiality rules similar to what patients have at doctor’s offices.  Privacy is discussed up front, so families have a clear understanding of the rules and regulations.

Godwin further explains “Over the last few years, we have seen students experiencing more symptoms of anxiety than previously. This is also true nationally.  There is also a lot of stress on students and is one of the main reasons students dropout of college.  Counseling is a tool to success.”  

Take advantage of these programs if needed:

https://www.jpshealthnet.org/medical-professionals/tcmhcc

Paschal Interventionist specialist: [email protected]