The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Join Key Club

Key Club meets on Tuesdays after school in room 239.

Paschal’s Key Club provides students with an excellent opportunity to engage in community service together, as well as inform each other of potential service opportunities. 

Some students may remember seeing posters for Key Club around the halls of Paschal. For those unaware, Key Club is sort of like the National Honors Society. Students look for chances to volunteer around the community. However, the club is open to everyone and only requires its members to inform each other of service opportunities and attend weekly meetings. The meetings typically last 15 minutes or less, and give rundowns on the regular weekly volunteer opportunities. 

One of the services for which students may sign up is helping hand out meals at Broadway Baptist Church on Thursdays. Animal lovers can apply to volunteer at PetSmart and work with animals. There are even opportunities at Paschal, such as Students Tutor Students and the Recycling Club. In addition to all that is listed here, there are plenty of more service opportunities that come up at Paschal and nearby schools. Key Club also made cards to send off for the holidays. 

Key Club is a national organization that goes back to 1925. Since it came to Paschal, it has given students even more chances to volunteer than they would have been given otherwise. Paschal senior Maya Perez said that during her freshman year, Key Club consisted of a very large body of students. Membership then declined during her sophomore year. Fortunately, word is spreading, and attendance numbers are rising again. The club now has a little over 20 participants, with plenty of room for more.

All you need to do to join is show up in room 239, Mrs. Sechrist’s room, before or after school on Tuesdays. If anybody is in need of service hours for the National Honors Society, wants to add to their college résumé, or simply wants to give back to their community, Key Club is the way to go. As Key Club’s president, Paschal Senior Canon Hamilton states, “Key Club is a community for people to come together and do community service together.” As a member of Key Club, I can attest to that.