The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Two Paschal Underclassmen Celebrate their 4th Birthday

2024 is a particularly special year for Paschal’s only leap-year babies, Gael Oropeza and Bryan Marquez, as they will get to celebrate their actual birthdays.
Freshman+student+Bryan+Marquez+gives+a+thumbs+up+with+his+birthday+glasses.+
Madeleine Gil
Freshman student Bryan Marquez gives a thumbs up with his birthday glasses.

While most years have 365 days, 2024 is a leap year and  has 366. Most people don’t pay much attention to this extra day in February, but for a few rare people, it is the only time they celebrate their actual birthday. 

According to National Public Radio, approximately 5 million people worldwide were born on February 29th. It is the rarest birthday; people have roughly a 1 in 1,461 chance of being born today. These people, or “leaplings” as they’re often called, only get to celebrate their birthday once every four years. 

Surprisingly, two Paschal Panthers were born on a leap year. Underclassmen Gael Oropeza and Bryan Marquez were both born in 2008. 

When asked how it feels to be born on a leap year, Oropeza said it felt “regular.”

According to him, his birthday is like any other; being born on a leap year makes no difference to him. 

Oropeza celebrates his birthday on February 28th. 

Marquez, on the other hand, had more to say. He remarked that he tends to celebrate his birthday on whichever day is closer to the weekend. 

He happily mentioned that he plans on celebrating with his friends this year.