The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

A Senior’s Guide to Senioritis

Seniors+put+their+heads+down+during+class.+
Terry Buckner
Seniors put their heads down during class.

Dear Seniors,

As we approach the final stretch of our high school journey, many students feel excitement, nostalgia, and perhaps a lot of laziness. This time, often accredited to the weeks between spring break and summer, is known as a time when “senioritis” begins to kick in. Senioritis is a real phenomenon that many experience near the end of their academic careers. While it’s natural to feel this way, navigating senioritis with mindfulness and responsibility is essential. Here are some tips for the class of 2024 to help us each make the most of our senior year. 

Stay Focused: It’s tempting to slack off when you know graduation is just around the corner, but remember that your grades still matter. College admissions offices and scholarship committees often request your final transcripts, so while it may be okay not to stress AS much, try to keep your grades consistent and maintain your focus. Colleges can and will take back their offer of admission if they feel your grades have slipped dramatically. Imagine how sad it would be if the school you are already planning on going to and envisioning your life there ended up changing their minds. We have just a couple of weeks left, so lock in and get it done!

Set Goals: As we enter the next chapter of our lives, reflect on what you hope to accomplish during your final year of high school. Whether you want to end the year with all A’s, get involved in extracurricular activities, or make lasting memories with your friends, setting goals can leave you feeling motivated and focused. 

Manage Your Time: I don’t know about you guys, but it feels like just a couple of months ago, I walked into class on the first day of the school year, and now we are in the final six weeks. Maybe time has been moving a lot slower for you, and you feel like graduation is an eternity away. Regardless, balancing schoolwork, extracurricular activities, and social events can be challenging, especially during the second semester of senior year. Practice good time management skills to ensure that you can meet deadlines and fulfill your responsibilities without feeling overwhelmed. Use a planner or the notes app on your phone to organize your schedule and to-do lists. When we get to college, we won’t have parents there to wake us up if we oversleep or security guards telling us to return to class. All of that is our responsibility in college, and I believe it would be tremendously beneficial to begin planning for that environment early on. 

Stay Engaged: Even if you feel a little bit checked out, try staying engaged in your classes and school community. You don’t want to look back on this time and regret just keeping your head down as you wait for graduation. Use this time to speak up. Participate in discussions, ask questions, and take advantage of any opportunities for learning and growth that come your way. What is the worst that could happen from actually speaking in class?

Celebrate Achievements: Don’t forget to celebrate your accomplishments, big or small. Whether passing an AP test, getting accepted into your dream college, or simply making it through a rough week, take the time to acknowledge your hard work and achievements. Remember to congratulate your friends for all their hard work, too. We are doing this together, and it feels good to have your effort recognized by others. 

Take Care of Yourself: Senior year can be stressful, and falling out of your normal routine can be easy, so make self-care a priority. Make sure you are getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising regularly. Remember to make time for the things that bring you joy or relaxation. All these things are great ways to reduce stress or any other symptoms of senioritis.