The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

New House Bill Affecting School Libraries

Texas House Bill 900 will require school libraries to remove all books marked as “sexually explicit” from public shelves.

The Paschal Library has been a safe space for students since the school opened back in the 80s. This year, it is seeing a lot of change. In addition to the new pair of librarians, Mrs. Fitzgerald and Ms. Woods, the library is about to remove any books marked as sexually explicit from its inventory because of a new Texas bill.

The Library is a beloved community space for many students at Paschal. (Penelope Maddox)

In June of this year, the Texas Senate met and voted to pass House Bill 900, which will prohibit the libraries of public schools from keeping “sexually explicit” books on their public shelves. The bill goes into effect September 1st, but libraries will not be able to update their inventories until April when the full list of books defined as sexually explicit is released.

Companies that sell books to Texas school libraries will be responsible for creating the lists, which will then be reviewed by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). The TEA is able to overrule a book’s rating if they see fit.

The TEA has given schools two options. They can either hold explicit books in a restricted section that will be inaccessible to students without parental permission or they can simply remove them from the catalogue entirely.

The Paschal Librarians have chosen to completely remove explicit books from shelves. “As of now, Paschal is not going to have a restricted section,” Librarian Teresa Woods said. In April of 2024, the Paschal Library will begin to pull books rated “explicit” from their shelves. According to Ms. Woods, this decision is subject to change depending on parental input.

In contrast, what is not subject to change is the status of House Bill 900. Texas legislature only meets once every two years so the law is here to stay at least until 2025.

Should libraries create a restricted section for sexually explicit books or should they be completely removed from shelves?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

4
View Comments (4)
Donate to Pantherette
$910
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Paschal High School - TX. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Penelope Maddox
Penelope Maddox, Editor
Penelope Maddox (12) is a co-editor for the online and printed Paschal Pantherette. This is her second year on staff and she is eager to focus on the behind-the-scenes aspect of running an online paper. She is an avid reader who loves chai lattes, overalls, and linguistics.
Donate to Pantherette
$910
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (4)

The Paschal Pantherette intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, inclusive discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or slander. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Pantherette does not allow anonymous comments, and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.
All Pantherette Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• R

rustOct 11, 2023 at 4:13 pm

live laugh love librarians

Reply
  • J

J DSep 5, 2023 at 4:52 pm Pantherette Pick

Keep fighting the good fight, P!

Reply
    • P

Penelope MaddoxSep 7, 2023 at 9:23 am

Thank you I miss you!

Reply
  • C

Charlie HortonAug 24, 2023 at 9:43 pm

this is such a crazy thing to have happen but you covered the topic very well. I’m extremely curious (and nervous) to see how the future of our relationship with literature changes.

Reply