The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Super Bowl 58: San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

Bring on the Cheese Dip!
David Becker

The Kansas City Chiefs face off against the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl 58 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas Nevada. This is the first time the Super Bowl has ever been in Las Vegas, meaning Allegiant Stadium, one of the best and brand-new stadiums in the league will make its Super Bowl debut.

The Kansas City Chiefs ended their regular season with an 11-6 record, but many fans were very skeptical about this team. The Chiefs were losing games to teams they should never lose to. Mahomes was not playing his best football during the regular season and Chiefs fans were wondering if this would carry into the playoffs. This was not the case, the Chiefs would start their playoff run at home in frigid temperatures vs the Miami Dolphins and win this game handedly 26-7. Kansas City would move on to a tough game vs the Buffalo Bills where they would be considered an underdog for the first time in a while. 

The Chiefs would prevail after a late missed field goal by the Bill kicker and win this game 20-17. The Chiefs were now in the AFC championship for the sixth straight year. They would face the Baltimore Ravens who had never hosted a conference championship. Kansas City was major underdogs but that would not matter as they would win 17-10 sending them to yet again another Super Bowl where they will meet the San Francisco 49ers.

San Francisco had a fantastic season finishing 12-5 but looking better than their record deceived. This was the best record in the NFC landing them the number one spot in the NFC meaning they would not have to play the Wild Card. The Niners would start their playoff run vs the Green Bay Packers. San Francisco had some scares this game but a fourth quarter Christian McCaffrey would seal the deal, winning 24-21. Just like that the 49ers only had to play one game to find themselves in the NFC championship vs the Detroit Lions. The Niners would not look great coming out of the game finding themselves trailing 24-7 going into halftime. It looked like the Lions would be going to their first ever Super Bowl appearance but San Francisco had other plans as they would make a great comeback winning the game 34-31. 

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes is already cementing himself as one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Mahomes already has 2 Super Bowl wins with three appearances. For reference the best quarterback of all time Tom Brady had 3 Super Bowls by the time he was 27. 

San Francisco quarterback Brock Purdy was the last pick in the NFL draft in 2022 giving him the title Mr. Irrelevant. No one could envision Purdy playing for a Super Bowl in his second year as a player. Even with Brock Purdy proving everyone wrong, he has still received a lot of hate. Many are calling Purdy a “System quarterback” meaning Purdy is playing well only because of the offensive weapons he has around him. Purdy has arguably the best running backs in the league, and best tight end in the league. Purdy also has a very versatile receiver in Deebo Samuel who is one of the fastest in the league. With all the hate, Purdy can prove everyone wrong once again with a Super Bowl win in his second season.

Will Mahomes get his third Super Bowl at the age of 28 or will Brock Purdy become only the second last pick in the NFL draft to ever win a Super Bowl? The Super Bowl airs on CBS at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 11th. The halftime performance will be by Usher and other guests he will bring out.