The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

The Dallas Cowboys Season Collapses After a Hopeful Regular Season

It’s been 29 years since the Cowboys made an NFC championship game
Richard Rodriguez/Getty Images

The Dallas Cowboys finished  their 2023-2024 season with a great record, 12-5. This would be good enough to win the division for their second NFC East title in three years. Although this was great, the Cowboys knew the job was not done and wanted more than just winning their division. Dallas quarterback Dak Prescott mentioned that he “wanted more” after the final regular season game.

The Cowboys entered the playoffs as the number two seed in the NFC meaning they would have home-field advantage for the first game and play the worst team that was in the playoffs, number 7 seeded Green Bay Packers. The Packers were coming off of a mediocre season with highs and lows but they entered the playoffs as one of the hottest teams in the league. 

The game unfortunately did not go the Cowboys’ way as the Packers scored on the first drive and the rest was history. Dak Prescott did not have a great day as he threw two interceptions, one which resulted in a Packers’touchdown. The final score of the game was 48-32 Packers, leaving most of Dallas-Fort Worth angered.

Huge Cowboys fan VonDerrick Hughes (11th) says “I am disappointed at the loss, we had such a good regular season and it is hard to see us lose to the worst seed in the playoffs”

The question for Cowboys fans after the game was whether or not Dallas’ owner Jerry Jones would decide to fire Mike McCarthy. Just three days after the loss Jerry Jones publicly announced his decision to keep Mike McCarthy. If you look on the bright side McCarthy has led the Cowboys to a 12-5 season the past three years. 

Although the Cowboys decided to keep McCarthy, it is difficult  to the team’s improvement. The Cowboys have been statistically the same team for the past three seasons. It has been 29 years since Dallas made the NFC championship game way back in 1995 which has led fans to take their anger out on Jerry Jones who has been the owner since 1989.

The Cowboys can still look for ways to improve as there is always free agency to get a solid player or two and of course the draft will be very important for Dallas this upcoming season. 

As Dallas Cowboys fans say( too often)…”there is always next year”.