The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

The College Football Playoff Schedule is Set

The college football teams that will compete in the January playoffs have been selected and the schedule is out!

After a long 12-game regular season, the college football playoffs are finally set. The playoff consists of the number one seed, Michigan, two-seed Washington, three-seed Texas, and the final seed, Alabama. Michigan will face off against Alabama in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. Washington will play Texas in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

This is the first year where the college football playoff committee had to make a tough choice. The committee had to choose between a 12-1 Alabama or an undefeated 13-0 Florida St. Alabama would end up getting in over the Seminoles after the Crimson Tides’ victory over previously ranked number one Georgia, who fell out of the playoffs due to this. The committee argued that the Florida St quarterback was out for the season there, so they would stand no chance in the playoff against top-tier teams that are healthy. This decision upset many Florida St. fans who believed they should have been in no matter what since they were undefeated.

This upset so many people that Governor Ron DeSantis of Florida is set to sue the College Football Playoff committee for $1 million. 

I asked Paschal college football fans how they felt that Florida State would not be in the playoff. Junior Jorge Arredondo states, “Florida State is a very deserving team, but I do not think they would have gotten out the first round without a quarterback.” Many Paschal students said the exact same thing about Florida State. Junior, Luke Woodall says “ I think Florida State would not compete against the top 4 teams in.”

Junior Luke Woodall does not think Florida could compete against the top 4 teams.
Jorge Arredondo, Junior, says Florida needs its top quarterback to be competitive.

On New Year’s Day, both Playoff games are set to take place; Alabama and Michigan will play the earlier game at 4:00 and Texas vs. Washington at 7:45, both games on ESPN. The National Championship game is following Monday, January 8th, at 6:30. It is at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas, which would be a massive home-field advantage for Texas if they were to beat Washington and move on to the National Championship game. 

Next year, college football will have its first-ever 12-team football playoff, which college football representatives believe will greatly boost entertainment. As in previous years, with the 4 team playoff, you would get the same old Alabama, Georgia, or Ohio State. This 12-team Playoff allows smaller schools who have never gotten a chance to play for a national championship to do so. This 12-team playoff would have helped Florida State this year, but unfortunately, that will not be the case until next year.