The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Week 1 2024 AP testing schedule from CollegeBoard
AP Testing Begins
Madeleine Gil, Reporter • May 6, 2024
Dua Lipa: Radical Optimism
Dua Lipa: Radical Optimism
Mason Lawrence, Reporter • April 30, 2024
The Clock is Ticking for TikTok
The Clock is Ticking for TikTok
Madeleine Gil, Reporter • April 26, 2024
Seniors put their heads down during class.
A Senior's Guide to Senioritis
Mason Lawrence, Reporter • April 23, 2024
Paschal Senior Prom promotional graphic provided by Paschal Student Council
Where to Shop for Prom '24
Elise Anderson, Reporter • April 9, 2024
Total Eclipse of the Sun
Total Eclipse of the Sun
Tori Sky, Reporter • April 5, 2024

Panthers Rock Out: Take a Look at Our Rising Stars

Paschal students always find ways to pursue their passions in and out of the classroom. Many of our student musicians are learning to navigate the performing world as young band members playing the drums, writing original songs, and even singing at local venues.
Junior Thomas Rodriguez shown drumming at a house show.

It’s no secret that Paschal’s student body is diverse and uniquely driven. Among the sea of athletes and academic successes are dedicated musicians, singers, and songwriters. 

Drumline and Jazz 2 student Thomas Rodriguez is one of the many students balancing school life and his musical ambitions as a young band member.

Paschal’s Drumline poses for a picture on the sidelines of a football game during the Fall season. Thomas is pictured in the front row second to the right.

Thomas has taken a particular liking towards Grunge, Shoegaze, and Experimental Rock and features his drumming talent at venues, including the Grackle Art Gallery and house shows. 

“The rush of performing is awesome, and seeing people getting into the music makes me want to keep doing it.” 

Through his involvement with his band, Thomas has found music increasingly fulfilling and a pastime he is considering pursuing professionally.

“If being a musician is what you wanna do, keep doing it. There will be some struggle that comes with it, and you’re going to hit a couple of walls at some point. But if you’re determined, you’ll see a good outcome”.

Jazz 1 guitar player and baseball player Scott Whitten is a young performing artist who frequently plays in a band called Smoked Honey outside of school.

Junior Scott Whitten pictured playing the guitar at the Magnolia Motor Lounge.

Scott’s band typically stays in the rock and country genre of music but accents the Jazz and Blues as well. 

One of Scott’s bands he takes inspiration from is the Allman Brothers Band and the Grateful Dead. “They’re more influential to me because of how they structure their music; it’s more than other music.”

Scott is the “Hippie” of his band and values freedom above most. Being confined in any aspect for him is a no, and he plays everything differently each time and loves originality in his sound. 

“When you’re frustrated and want to let it out when playing live, you can do that because nobody controls what you wanna do.”

Senior Dominic Henson performing at Trees in Dallas earlier this month as a stand-in for a cover Rock band.

Senior Dominic “Dom” Henson is well known at Paschal for his iconic long green hair and grunge outfits. Dom has a passion for music as a singer-songwriter. He has released several original pieces of music that he promotes to fellow students and teachers at school. In September, Dom sold his last album, Ramblings of an Unsound Mind, on CDs to students in his classes. He is finalizing his next project, Ice, which he says will come out on December 21st. 

Dom has been in twelve bands in a span of fifteen months. He has gotten a close look at what he calls the flaky nature of young musicians that he attributes to his band-hopping. 

“You find who you like working with and what sounds you like the most. Some people don’t mesh well, but it’s just a learning experience.”

He has performed with past bands at numerous venues over the past two years. Dom recalls a particularly memorable experience while “moshing” at Rail Club that ended in a severe concussion. 

“It was worth it in the end.” 

His punky lifestyle isn’t restricted to venue stages; Dom expresses his love for music with his daily attire. Dom wears a black jacket every day to school, which he calls a “battle vest” that was given to him during a Pantera tribute band performance. Dom decorated his vest with patches of his favorite artists like Ozzy Osbourne. 

Dominic singing on stage at the Ridglea Room in August with a metal cover band.

Currently, Dom is not in a band but finds that working alone offers its own perks. “Being in a band is really fun to play with people, but playing alone gives you more freedom to experiment.” 

1
View Comments (1)
Donate to Pantherette
$910
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Paschal High School - TX. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Tori Sky
Tori Sky, Reporter
Tori Sky (10) is a reporter for the online and printed Paschal Pantherette. This is her 1st year on newspaper and intends to carry on her moms legacy and report for the school newspaper . She spends a lot of time and money on concerts, she has a bad habit of buying clothing. Tori loves to read novels and runs the PHS art club.
Donate to Pantherette
$910
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (1)

The Paschal Pantherette intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, inclusive discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or slander. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Pantherette does not allow anonymous comments, and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.
All Pantherette Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• D

Dominic HensonDec 13, 2023 at 9:17 pm

Dominic “Dom”Henson here if you or your band needs a drummer,singer, guitarist, banjoist player, violinist, bassist, or mandolin player hit me up at 817-889-2808 or at marginalia bob on Instagram

Reply