The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Incoming Call: Scam Likely

As avid internet users, teens are a big target of online scams. There are many ways that scammers try to steal information, including over the phone, sketchy websites, and even social media.
Penelope Maddox
Online scams are becoming an increasingly dangerous threat as scammers come up with more and more creative ways to trick targets.

Our lives are held almost entirely online; business dealings, transactions, bill payments, and even tax returns can now be conducted from the comfort of your phone. However, while the advent of technology has made our lives easier and more productive, it has come with drawbacks. 

Individuals of all ages are bombarded with potential scams and fraudulent schemes 24/7. While older generations who are less internet savvy are targeted at a higher frequency, this does not mean that the chronically online teenage generation is safe. Whether it is scrolling through Instagram, receiving sketchy advertisements on websites, DMs on social media, or simply just receiving a phone call, the risk of being swindled is always there. 

Paschal student Clint Bowers says, “Yeah, on average, I get around 10-13 scam calls a day.” He was then happy to share a voicemail he had received with us, “Hey there, um, I guess I missed you? It’s Jessica over at National Tax Advisory Services LLC…This is a follow-up notification regarding the new Euro Tax Program now open for you. So it looks like you possibly have some past money due, which we can squash with this new deal. So basically it becomes non-collectible, but, um, you must elect to enroll this month…again I’m Jess from cc at 831-204-4718.”  

When asked if he had any idea of what the voicemail was about, he responded, “No, I do not have any connection with Jessica or the taxes mentioned.” 

Scammers use scare tactics and false information to get into the heads of their targets. This tactic works more often on older people, who are likelier to answer the phone and engage in conversation. The occurrence has become so common that some YouTubers have made a career out of answering these calls and messing with the scammers, pretending to be other people and wasting their time. YouTuber Kitboga has even gone so far as to get locations and police involved so that the scammers face actual legal repercussions. 

While teenagers do not usually have an abundance of wealth that can be targeted, what they do have are followers and accounts. Scammers often “slide” into the DMs of unsuspecting teens and attempt to trick them into sending their information. Catfishing or pretending to be someone else are common ways to gain someone’s trust. Once their accounts are compromised, they target their followers, who are often parents or older family members, by posing as the account owner. 

In this online landscape, it is important to be wary of the potential risks of simply being on the internet. Be careful of what websites you visit, who you talk to, what you buy, and the advertisements you indulge in. Strangers no longer lure you with candy but with hot $10 deals and tax alerts.