The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Week 1 2024 AP testing schedule from CollegeBoard
AP Testing Begins
Madeleine Gil, Reporter • May 6, 2024
Dua Lipa: Radical Optimism
Dua Lipa: Radical Optimism
Mason Lawrence, Reporter • April 30, 2024
The Clock is Ticking for TikTok
The Clock is Ticking for TikTok
Madeleine Gil, Reporter • April 26, 2024
Seniors put their heads down during class.
A Senior's Guide to Senioritis
Mason Lawrence, Reporter • April 23, 2024
Paschal Senior Prom promotional graphic provided by Paschal Student Council
Where to Shop for Prom '24
Elise Anderson, Reporter • April 9, 2024
Total Eclipse of the Sun
Total Eclipse of the Sun
Tori Sky, Reporter • April 5, 2024

Paschal Swim Team Dives Into the Record Books

Paschal left the midseason championship meet with 3 school records broken and 5 gold medals.
Paschal Swim

Paschal Swim recently competed at the midseason championship meet and did not disappoint. 3 school records were broken at this meet. In the girls 200m medley relay, Hannah Dietrich, Valeria Venegas, Ryan Louden, and Victoria Chandler broke their own school record they set a month ago by 2 seconds. In the boys medley race, Grant Chapa, Harrison Purcell, Daniel Wilke, and Jackson Beck would go on to break a 21-year-old record. Also, the boys beat their best time by 5 seconds. Sophomore Valeria Venegas broke an astonishing 23-year-old record in the girls 100m breaststroke. 

Grantchapa.2020 via instagram

Paschal swimming star Grant Chapa recently announced his commitment to Brigham Young University (BYU) on November 22. Chapa states in his commitment “I’m excited and blessed to announce my commitment to continue my athletic and academic career at Brigham Young University. I want to thank God, my coaches, my family, my friends, and anyone else who helped me along the way.”

This year in the boys 50m free, Grant Chapa leads the team with a time of 23.03 seconds. Behind him by only about a second is August East with a time of 24.72 seconds. And third is Daniel Wilke with a time of 25.18 seconds. On the girls side of the 50m free, Vicky Chandler leads the team at 26.53 seconds, with Savannah Smith right behind her at 27.04 seconds, and Valeria Venegas third at 28.13 seconds.

Earlier in the season, Paschal competed in The Colony Sprint Invite and won Gold. Paschal beat out other high schools such as JJ Pearce, Burleson, Woodrow Wilson, and Centennial. In this meet, Paschal won 5 gold medals, 1 silver medal, and 1 Bronze. For reference, JJ Pearce who placed second in the meet only had one gold medal. 

There were other notable times for Paschal Swim. August East finished in 34.46 seconds in the 50m breaststroke. Daniel Zimpleman’s time was 33.20 seconds on his backstroke. Also on the backstroke. Daniel Wilke’s best time is 28.06. 

Overall, Paschal Swim has an extremely bright future ahead of them with many underclass swimmers that will only get better.