The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Week 1 2024 AP testing schedule from CollegeBoard
AP Testing Begins
Madeleine Gil, Reporter • May 6, 2024
Dua Lipa: Radical Optimism
Dua Lipa: Radical Optimism
Mason Lawrence, Reporter • April 30, 2024
The Clock is Ticking for TikTok
The Clock is Ticking for TikTok
Madeleine Gil, Reporter • April 26, 2024
Seniors put their heads down during class.
A Senior's Guide to Senioritis
Mason Lawrence, Reporter • April 23, 2024
Paschal Senior Prom promotional graphic provided by Paschal Student Council
Where to Shop for Prom '24
Elise Anderson, Reporter • April 9, 2024
Total Eclipse of the Sun
Total Eclipse of the Sun
Tori Sky, Reporter • April 5, 2024

Florida Bans Phones in School

Florida is cracking down on student cellphone use during instructional time with new state law.
Ram Verma
Student scrolling on her phone

Last May, Florida passed a law that required its school districts to ban cell phones in the classroom. Recently, Orange County, Florida, went one step further and banned the use of cell phones for the entire school day, including lunch and passing periods. It was this decision that sparked much of the controversy surrounding this development.

Many in Florida, particularly teachers and parents, have supported the ban, saying it results in lowered rates of bullying, more classroom participation, overall better student performance, and more social interaction. Much of the controversy lies in the students’ reactions, which vary from mild indignation to outrage.

A recent article by the New York Times encouraged teenagers to voice their opinions on the ban in Florida. The responses tend to highlight three main points. 

First of all, they state the necessity of cell phones in an emergency. With the meteoric rise in school shootings in the last several years, the ability to contact a loved one is of undoubtable value. Prohibiting cell phones would severely restrict students’ ability to reach those people.

The second point frequently cited is the responsibility of carrying such a distracting device. As one person puts it, “Not being able to use cell phones [sic] in schools takes away the sense of responsibility that comes with being allowed to use it but deciding to listen to a lesson instead.” While high school students need to have responsibilities, the problem is that students often abuse them. They have the choice to either pay attention in class or scroll through their phone, and many, unfortunately, choose the latter.

The third point was that school is simply too “boring without smartphones.” The third point is sufficiently summed up by one of the student commenters, who said that “cell phones have always been a problem with schools from the start because sometimes schools are boring.” This rather glosses over the issue’s complexity, but it raises an interesting point. Perhaps cell phones aren’t the problem. Some suggest that schools should make an effort to make classes more engaging.

As another comment said, “Before [cell phones’] conception, students have been zoning out and finding fun things to do while class is going on. This could’ve been seen as leaning over to talk, passing notes, or even playing tic tac toe against themself.” Banning cellphones may alleviate a lot of the distractions, but as yet another commenter wrote, “if it came down to it, I would most likely find another way to occupy my time.” Apparently, as students, we will look for any way we can to avoid class.

Some students have suggested a middle ground in which cell phones would be banned in the classroom but permitted in the halls and at lunch. An interesting, albeit quite radical, take was that of the student who suggested that “depending on your grade, you should have more or less restrictions on phone use.” Of course, this opens up a host of problems with maintaining such an up-to-date track of students’ grades and the implicit inequity of such a system.

While it is uncertain if a cellphone ban may be coming to Paschal, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for students to brace themselves for the possibility. It is easy to turn against something we disagree with quickly, but many of the Floridians’ touted benefits have merit. 

If a cell phone ban should come to Paschal, students may be better off simply accepting it. It may be tricky to determine what to do without your cell phone, but think of it this way: for tens of thousands of years, humanity got by without phones. In the last fifteen or so years, smartphones have come onto the scene. Even a generation ago, people grew up and lived their lives without smartphones. 

We may be too entrenched in smartphones today to step back that far, but perhaps we can accept giving them up for a few hours during the day.

3
View Comments (3)
Donate to Pantherette
$910
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Paschal High School - TX. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Ram Verma
Ram Verma, Reporter
Ram Verma (12) is a a reporter for the Paschal Pantherette. This is his first year with the Pantherette, and he is looking forward to learning the process behind news writing. He enjoys writing, and looks forward to putting that to good use in the coming school year. In his free time, he enjoys reading, being outdoors, and hanging out with friends or family.
Donate to Pantherette
$910
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (3)

The Paschal Pantherette intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, inclusive discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or slander. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Pantherette does not allow anonymous comments, and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.
All Pantherette Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• H

HenryNov 30, 2023 at 1:08 pm

I think it should not be implemented anywhere, it seems like treating highschool like some kind of other world, with no connection to the outside. Highschool students are nearly or ARE adults, so its insane to try to limit us like that. If it was implemented theyd have to balance it between allowing it and not allowing it, cause not allowing it IN school is insane and dangerous, and then allowing them to be in school but not be used in class can not be enforced easily. Generally they just shouldn’t do it because it won’t work, is a waste of time, and is taking away attention from actual important issues. If this happened I’d just distract myself with something else, maybe even spitefully so due to the ban.

Reply
  • J

JoannNov 29, 2023 at 1:07 pm

I don’t think cell phones should be ban from schools. If there is a shooting or a lockdown students need to let their parents know that they are okay. Peace of mind for them and parents. Calling every parent is not happening. Safety is always first. Please reconsider this decision.

Reply
  • A

AdamNov 29, 2023 at 10:36 am

Ban ban ban … There here heads out of the phone and put then back in the book . Phone should not be aloud on school ground.

Reply