The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Save a Life, Donate Blood

You can donate blood at STUCO’s drive this Wednesday.
Madeleine Gil
Informative Blood Drive poster in the English hall bathroom.

Paschal High School Student Council will host a blood drive on Wednesday, November 15, from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Anyone sixteen or older who weighs at least 110 pounds can donate, but sixteen-year-olds must turn in a signed parent permission form. These can be picked up from Ms. Hockstad in room 209. To earn their red cord for graduation, seniors must donate blood twice during the school year. 

Donating blood can sometimes seem intimidating if you don’t know what to expect. If this is your first time donating or you aren’t sure if it is something you want to do, here is a guide to what exactly will happen and how the blood will be used. 

According to the Red Cross, they will collect one pint of blood, which takes around eight to ten minutes. Afterward, you will sit and rest for ten to fifteen minutes. Drinks and snacks are often available during this time. The Red Cross website says some people might feel faint or dizzy, while others have no symptoms. Some soreness in the arm is common, but it should go away quickly and shouldn’t be too severe. They also recommend drinking plenty of water and eating iron-rich foods after donating. 

Everyone has heard that donating blood can save lives, but what exactly happens to the blood after it is collected? First, it will be sent to a Red Cross center, where it is processed through a computer database. One test tube of blood from each donor is sent to a Red Cross National Testing Laboratory, where it is tested for many diseases, and blood type is determined. If test results come back negative, they can be stored for up to forty-two days and shipped to a hospital. 

According to the Mayo Clinic website, the blood can then be used to help treat people with different diseases or injuries, or it can be given to people who lost too much blood during surgery. Blood donations can be lifesaving for these people. 

If you are interested in donating, you can sign up using the QR codes posted in the hallway, but remember to get a permission form if you are sixteen!