The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Advice to my Junior Self

If college application season has taught seniors anything, it is to start preparing for college as soon as possible. To avoid the senior year stress, listen to the advice of your more knowledgeable elders.
Maya Perez
“Paschal goes to college” banner hanging outside the go center.

The priority deadline, November 1st,  for college applications is closing in, and seniors are feeling the pressure. Every year, seniors are blindsided by how time-consuming and thorough the application process is and subsequently endure an incredibly stressful workload balancing applications and school. Many students don’t think about their plans after graduating until the first semester of senior year, leaving a small window to make significant decisions impacting the trajectory of their lives. 

Fortunately, for juniors and sophomores, there is time to take measures for college readiness and avoid the unbearable stress seniors are dealing with. So, if you want your senior year to be a breeze, consider the advice from your elders.

Get Involved 

Solid extracurricular activities can make or break your application, especially if you plan on applying to prestigious colleges. Applications you submit on Apply Texas and Common App will include sections to detail your involvement in extracurricular activities and community service. Also, your extracurricular activities can be used as subject matter in your college essays. The more you do in high school, the easier it will be to write your essays. 

Senior Cass Wheatly shares the importance of getting involved in extracurriculars and volunteer activities. “I think that what a lot of colleges want to see is that you have been involved in some way in extracurriculars that will prepare you for college or your career. A lot of colleges want you to have an idea of what you want to do when you apply, so it helps a lot to have done background work like internships, classes, clubs, or volunteering in whatever field you want to go into. (If you’re going into the medical field, shadow a doctor or intern at a hospital, etc.). This also makes the essays a lot easier to write because you have more to talk about, and it looks better to be more involved!”

Grades Matter 

This may go without saying, but admissions officers heavily consider your high school transcript. Freshman and sophomore year performance establishes your general ranking for the remainder of high school; drastically improving your rank after sophomore year is difficult, and students will inevitably drop out as time passes, which tightens the class rank percentiles. The top 10% of every graduating class will qualify for automatic admission in all public state schools (except UT Austin); the top 6% of every senior graduating class will qualify for automatic admission into UT Austin, an excellent and affordable choice (affordable in comparison to similarly ranked schools). Going into your senior year as an auto-admit will take so much stress off your shoulders. Senior Ellie Raiden recalls, “I was always told junior year was the most important year, so I didn’t prioritize my grades freshman and sophomore year than I should have, and I definitely regret that.” 

With this being said, grades and test scores aren’t everything; colleges take a holistic approach when reviewing your application. Special circumstances such as unstable home life, outside responsibilities, financial responsibilities, and other barriers to academic success will be considered by admissions if indicated in applications. It’s important to show that you did your best, given your circumstances.

Start Essays Early

The essays are, without a doubt, the most daunting and challenging aspect of applying to college. Most applications require one main 650/700-word essay and several supplements. Unlike the writing most students are used to, the prompts are broad, and there seems to be more essay topic taboos than guidance. The key to tackling college essays is starting in the summer before senior year; this way, there is sufficient time to brainstorm, write, and revise. 

Paschal 23′ Valedictorian and Cornell freshman Maitri Kovuru credits her early essay start to her smooth senior year. “I started my college app essay and finished it over the summer, and it saved me a lot of time and stress during the school year. You should start brainstorming essay topics by the end of June, max.”

Make Use of Your Summer 

Your involvement in your community shouldn’t be limited to school grounds or the school year. Spending your summer working with an organization can help you stand out from other applicants and diversify your resume. 

Paschal 24′ Valedictorian Jonathan Feldman has productively spent his summers utilizing opportunities to strengthen his skill set. “Working over the summer, both in nonprofit and for-profit organizations, has really helped me ascertain what I want to do in the future and learn tangible skills that have proved incredibly useful in school and beyond. I would wholeheartedly recommend everyone use their summer to get involved and work; it’s the best time to learn and grow.”

Find Your Calling

One major part of applying to colleges is applying to a major. Many students need to realize that they can get accepted to their college and not get accepted to their major. Find your passion early in high school to increase your chances of getting into your first choice major. For example, if you may major in marine biology, join the science club and take as many STEM classes as possible. Applying with a resume demonstrating an interest in your major will increase your chances of acceptance. Furthermore, most applications will include a supplemental essay asking you to explain your interest in your major; if you aren’t involved in related activities, it will be challenging to write a good essay.

Senior varsity soccer captain Nico Castillo is one of Paschal’s UT Austin auto-admit students but has struggled with parts of his applications because he has yet to find a passion. “My uncertainty about my calling has made it challenging to come up with ideas to write about in my college apps. I wish I had given it more thought, and I wish I had spent more time exploring my interests outside of school. I still feel uncertain whether the major I chose for my applications is one I truly want to pursue.”

Extra Tip

You can find how a college will weigh your application by googling “common data set (X college).” For example, if you want to go to Princeton, look up “common data set (Princeton).” Knowing the preferences of your dream college will help you shape your application accordingly!