The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

My Brother’s Keeper: Where Brotherhood and Success Thrives

In 2014, FWISD accepted the My Brother’s Keeper Challenge to address financial and academic disparities among black and Hispanic students. Today, Paschal’s MBK chapter works with students to foster a supportive community that guides them through high school.
Shandon Porter
My Brother’s Keeper members and sponsors pose for a selfie at last Tuesday’s meeting in Mr. Valverde’s room.

“WHAT IS MBK?!” “MY BROTHER’S KEEPER.” “WHEN WAS IT FOUNDED?!” “2014!” “BY WHO?!” “BARACK OBAMA.” “FOR WHAT?!” “TO HELP YOUNG MEN OF COLOR TRANSITION FROM ONE STAGE OF LIFE TO THE NEXT.” 

My Brother’s Keeper is the national program found in 17 FWISD schools across the city and is partially funded by local school districts. The quotations above are from our MBK meeting, where students meet every Tuesday in Mr. Valverde’s room during lunch and after school. 

There, students engage in activities that build their camaraderie, such as asking questions like “Who is one person you would like to make the world a safer place for? Tell me something about them. What is one thing about you we can’t tell by looking?” At the beginning of every meeting, this activity leads to the students openly sharing about the people they hold closest, but also about themselves and their interests. Members remember these details when establishing a brotherhood in the organization.

Instructors Rickie Clark, Elias Valverde, Rix Quinn, and Bill West encourage self-love and appreciation for one’s culture, race, and identity. They emphasize the importance of learning the history of one’s people and where they come from. There is a definite lack of African and South & Central American history in our school curriculum; this underrepresentation makes children feel like they don’t belong. MBK aims to combat underrepresentation by providing a space where students can go to learn and build strong bonds with each other. 

When asked what being an MBK instructor means to him, Mr. Rickie responded, “Brotherhood and resilience in spite of setbacks.” This encapsulates the very essence of what MBK is about; it is the story of a people who, despite hitting wall after wall, can band together to overcome said walls through their companionship and resilience. 

Instructor Rix Quinn, writer, and Paschal alumni, added, “It makes me feel how privileged I was to be born white and enlightened me on the hardships that Blacks and Hispanics faced.” Anybody wishing to learn about other cultures and values is welcome by MBK. 

Some people, however, do not share this sentiment. At the Fort Worth ISD board meeting on August 22nd, community members expressed their discontent with the program, questioning what it has truly accomplished and if the $255,000 budget is warranted. The vote concerned whether or not they should extend the contract for the 2023-2024 school year. Board members Kevin Lynch and Dr. Michael Ryan voted against extending the contract, being the only two opposing votes on the agenda item. 

This quandary brought forth documents that reported on the impact of My Brother’s Keeper and its sister program, My Sister’s Keeper. In 2023, records showed that the district had 655 students participating in the program while only having 273 registered students. Board member Lynch argued that because of the discrepancy in registration numbers, statistics could not indicate how the program benefited students over the years. 

Board member Quinton Phillips acknowledged the need for record-keeping improvement but also noted the importance of the organization’s initiative. He praised MBK in a Fort Worth Report interview, stating, “The one thing I know my community stands tall on is MBK and MSK.” 

What does the future hold for MBK? An extension for the program was successfully acquired; however, the district must now track the data more thoroughly. 

As for the MBK chapter here at Paschal? They are currently recruiting students to get to the required 15 members for a chapter. If you are interested in learning about your own culture or just looking for a place that will prepare you for your future and welcome you with open arms, consider joining MBK! 

1
View Comments (1)
Donate to Pantherette
$910
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Paschal High School - TX. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Hector Valenzuela
Hector Valenzuela, Reporter
Hector Valenzuela (12) is a reporter for the Paschal Pantherette. This is his first year on the staff but he is elated to begin writing meaningful stories. He has varied interests and you can count on him to write about almost any subject. In his free time he enjoys reading.
Donate to Pantherette
$910
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (1)

The Paschal Pantherette intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, inclusive discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or slander. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Pantherette does not allow anonymous comments, and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.
All Pantherette Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• D

Dulce RodriguezOct 2, 2023 at 11:07 pm

Hope other people join this club, proud of you hector ❤️

Reply