The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Ye Olde Lost Letter – English’s Forgotten Thorn

Did you know that English used to have another letter?

If you’ve ever been to any historical-themed event, you’ve probably at least seen one store named Ye Olde Gift Shoppe or other variations. But did you know that Ye is pronounced The?

To understand why this is, we have to go back to the era of Old English, from 500 BCE to 1100 BCE. The th sound was written using a thorn, which looked like a p but with a taller stem. The symbol was borrowed from a Norse rune of the same name. 

The thorn’s reign was short and fell out of popularity by the time Middle English (1100-1500 BCE) appeared, and the th sound was spelled, as we know it, like “th.” The thorn was still used, but only for common words such as “the” and “that” to minimize confusion with the letter p.

In the 15th century, Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press. Printers imported letters for the presses to England from the Netherlands and Belgium, where the thorn was not in use. Printers solved the problem by substituting the thorn with a y because they thought it looked like the thorn’s þ symbol. 

The two symbols might look very different to us now, but back then, writers sometimes neglected to connect the top of the curve to the stem when writing a thorn, resulting in a more y-like shape. Similar to how a sloppy r might look like a v. Readers at the time understood that the y is pronounced “th” in certain circumstances, but this became lost knowledge as time progressed.

Ye Olde Piquante Apothecary is located in the Scarborough Renaissance Festival just outside of Fort Worth.

Eventually, “ye” became lost in time with English spellers favoring “the,” but ye history of it still exists in Renaissance fairs, such as the Scarbrough Renaissance Festival, just short of an hour southeast of Fort Worth. Scarbrough is home to Ye Olde Piquante Apothecary, which describes itself as an “olde timey herbal shop.”

English is 1,400 years old, with a long history and a lot of evolution. We can see evidence of its change because of how we speak and write English today. 

2
View Comments (2)
Donate to Pantherette
$910
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Paschal High School - TX. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Penelope Maddox
Penelope Maddox, Editor
Penelope Maddox (12) is a co-editor for the online and printed Paschal Pantherette. This is her second year on staff and she is eager to focus on the behind-the-scenes aspect of running an online paper. She is an avid reader who loves chai lattes, overalls, and linguistics.
Donate to Pantherette
$910
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (2)

The Paschal Pantherette intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, inclusive discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or slander. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Pantherette does not allow anonymous comments, and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.
All Pantherette Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• A

Azul RamosSep 14, 2023 at 11:48 am

Reply
  • A

arayah lindseySep 14, 2023 at 11:19 am

bring back the thorn ✊

Reply