The Student News Site of Paschal High School

Pantherette

Pantherette

Pantherette

Mum’s the Word

With the Homecoming Dance rapidly approaching, you may wonder: Are mums still a trend at Paschal?

Well, the answer is simple. Yes. Keep reading to find out.

Interestingly enough, a Paschal student specializes in crafting mums for everyone and anyone who asks. His name is Isaiah Sapien-Ramos. As a current senior, he made his first mum sophomore year. He made two mums that year and gave them to his friends free of charge. 

Sapien-Ramos sold his first mum junior year and officially opened up for business this year. He spread the news of his mum business through Instagram (@isaiah_sapien_ramos) and the traditional connections of a friend of a friend and so on. He recently made an Instagram account for his mums (@mf_mums06). Feel free to DM him with any questions or requests for a mum of your own.

Picture of a Homecoming mum made by Isaiah (picture provided by Isaiah)

When asked how mums are made, he said it all starts with an idea. People come to him with a general idea of what they want, but for the most part, he gets creative freedom. They tell him how big they’d like the base to be and how long they’d like the ribbon to be. As for the rest, it’s all up to him. 

Sapien-Ramos likes to get his mum supplies from Hobby Lobby and Michaels. According to him, both stores have a vast selection of mum supplies. This includes pre-cut ribbons, fake flowers, and mum heads/bases. He attaches all of these components together using a stapler and hot glue. He likes to ensure that the mum is secure and won’t fall apart. To make it easy to wear, he attaches a clip or neck wrap to the mum, depending on personal preference. 

As for pricing, he charges $80 per mum. But he mentioned that if someone were to give him a budget, he’d fit that budget and charge accordingly. As stated by Sapien-Ramos, getting pre-made mums can be a little more expensive than buying a mum from him. He typically spends $50 on his supplies per mum and makes a pretty solid profit. It usually takes him two days to complete the making of one mum. 

This year, Sapien-Ramos has made three mums. He hopes to expand his creations and make garters next year. A garter is essentially a mum for a boy. It’s much smaller than a mum and worn on the arm rather than around the neck. According to Sapien-Ramos, garters are typically made for couples.

Isaiah Sapien-Ramos (12) with Rosalinda Castro (12) and the mum he created for her. (Terry Buckner)

When asked how he felt about making mums, Sapien-Ramos responded, “I really like making mums because it helps pass the time, and it gives me creative freedom.”

Sapien-Ramos thoroughly enjoys crafting in his free time. His love of crafting started with his very own crochet business. He can crochet scrunchies, plush animals, roses, and more! Follow him on Instagram (@cranky_crochet05) to find your next favorite trinket.

So, the answer is yes, mums are still a trend. Not only are they a trend here at Paschal but all over Texas! This Southern tradition dates back to the 1930s and remains trendy today.