Tamale Tuesday

Tamale+Tuesday

Kimberly Medina, Enterprise Reporter

This upcoming Tuesday, after school from 4-6 pm on December the 10th, Paschal will have a tamale making event to spread and share some of the hispanic culture that is present within the school. All Paschal students will be invited to put together tamales with masa and fillings in room 236. 

But first. What are tamales and why are we making them?

It is no secret that one of the most popular foods present throughout the wide spectrum of the hispanic culture are the tamales. Many people inside and even outside the hispanic community claim tamales to be their absolute favorite dish. 

Tamales are mainly made during the holidays or during the colder seasons. They are what many hispanic families look forward to the most during this time of the year. With many variations of this food throughout the western hemisphere, they bring in a wide range of tamale enthusiasts across several countries. 

Tamales are commonly made from masa, or dough, that is mixed with vegetable oil or lard, and numerous seasonings, with the most important one being salt. Depending on the region from which the tamales are being made, the seasonings can range from beef or chicken broth to chili puree or powder, cumin, pepper, and countless other spices. Once the masa has been made, it is scooped onto cleaned corn husks, or in some countries, banana leaves. The masa is then filled with ingredients such as pork, beef, potatoes, beans, rice, or vegetables. You can find many variations of this type of food across Mexico and the Central and Southern American countries. 

Although it is unknown exactly when and where tamales originated, it has been labeled a traditionally mesoamerican dish. The consumption of tamales can be dated back to pre-Columbian days within the Aztec tribes. Interestingly enough, the Aztecs would even serve them to the Spaniards that invaded Mexico in the 1500s. The tamale quickly grew in popularity, as well as diversity, throughout the hispanic countries of the Americas. It eventually became a dish most commonly made during the holiday seasons, and it has become a tradition in many hispanic families ever since. 

Today, tamales continue being one of the most popular traditional hispanic foods made during the holidays. Paschal will be joining the tradition by having a tamale making event where all students are welcome to come after school on December the 10th to make tamales, just in time for the holiday season! займы на карту без отказа займ на карту без отказа без проверки мгновенногде лучше брать займзайм без отказа 100 веб займ телефонзайм под залог москвазайм до 50000 рублей