Paschal Choir Makes Texas History

The Panther Corps Men’s Choir at TMEA

Emma Henry, Copy Editor

On Valentine’s Day last month, Paschal choir made musical history. For the first time ever, a music ensemble from FWISD was invited to headline at the TMEA (Texas Music Educators Association) convention in San Antonio. The Panther Corps Men’s Choir, directed by Nathan Benavides and Trevlyn Nipper, performed for music educators and professionals from all around the state and the globe.

The TMEA convention is where students who auditioned for and made the all-state band, choir, orchestra, and jazz band perform. A few junior high and high school music ensembles are invited to perform as well, along with several college ensembles. Being invited to perform at this convention is a huge honor in Texas. In all of TMEA’s 98 year history, a musical ensemble from Fort Worth ISD has never been invited to perform. As Mr. Benavides put it, “Paschal’s invitation to be a featured ensemble is equivalent to Aledo’s football team winning the state 5A championship.”

The choir of 23 Paschal boys, ranging from freshman to senior, performed a program titled “This Is My Song”. The program was made up of eight pieces which all celebrated different world traditions. Songs from Mexico, India, Germany, Estonia, Finland, and Italy were all part of the program, as well as a song called “In My Place”, which was commissioned especially for the Panther Corps’ TMEA performance.

“The twenty-three students in this all-male choir have worked diligently to achieve this honor,” said Mr. Benavides. “We are so proud to represent Paschal High School and Fort Worth ISD at this state music conference. This has been a special journey for these young men, and I am proud to have witnessed their growth as musicians.”

The choir performed on Thursday, February 14, at 7 pm in San Antonio’s 3,000 seat Henry B. Gonzalez Auditorium. They were a featured ensemble, which is the highest honor that can be awarded to a public school ensemble in Texas.

On February 5, a week before they left for San Antonio, the choir performed their full TMEA show at the Kimbell Art Museum’s auditorium. займ на карту онлайн займ 911займ круглосуточнозайм онлайн на карту срочно без отказа взять займ с плохой кредитной историей и просрочкамисрочный займ без проверки кредитной историизайм без предоплат