Pantherette

Rain or Shine, the Paschal Band Marches On

March-A-Thon 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Paschal band marches through inclimate weather. 
Photo courtesy of Paschal Band Facebook Profile.

Paschal band marches through inclimate weather. Photo courtesy of Paschal Band Facebook Profile.

Emma Henry, Copy Editor

If you were anywhere between Paschal High School and the Trinity commons shopping Center on the morning of September 22nd, there’s a good chance you saw and heard the Paschal Marching Band. The Band and Color Guard made their way through the streets of Southwest Fort Worth, marching what should have been about six miles for their annual March-A-Thon fundraiser.

The March-A-Thon is exactly what it sounds like-an event where the band, color guard, parents, and community members march around Fort Worth for three or four hours. Volunteers collect donations, the band plays music, and, as Drum Major Ashlyn Oglesby puts it, “Everybody has a great time,”

Due to rain and bad weather conditions the March-A-Thon started two hours late. Band and colorguard members were bused from Paschal to Overton Park East near Tanglewood and marched from there to Trinity Commons. Once they arrived they played a concert for parents and community members. Principal Langston and a school board member walked with the band on the shortened route.  

In previous years, the band has marched from Paschal through TCU and stopped at Bluebonnet Circle to play a few songs for parents and community members. They then make their way to Westcliff shopping center and stop in Foster Park for another concert. Finally, they march through Overton Park and stop in the Trinity Commons shopping center, where they meet up with the Arlington Heights marching band. They have a “battle of the bands” and parents teachers, and community members are invited to come watch the show.

“This is our tenth year for the March-A-Thon,” Said Paschal band director Bryan Wright. “My favorite part is interacting with the public during our concerts throughout the day. They really enjoy hearing us play.”

The Arlington Heights Band wasn’t able to participate in the March-A-Thon this year due to conflicts that had been previously scheduled.

The march-a-thon is also a fundraiser for the band, and they usually raise about twenty thousand dollars each year through march-a-thon. The money is used for any band related expenses, the most recent being brand new uniforms for the 2018/19 marching season.

This years fundraising goal was $20,000, and you can still donate at http://www.paschalband.com/donations–payments.html

About the Writer
Emma Henry, Copy Editor

Emma Henry is a junior, and this is her second year on the Pantherette Staff. She is a member of the marching and concert bands and plays clarinet. Outside...