Vigil Held in Response to Shooting

Vigil Held in Response to Shooting

Tonight at 7pm there will be a candlelight vigil at the United Methodist Church accross the street from Paschal. This is in response to a shooting at the nearby Whataburger that occurred shortly after school on Friday, January 20th. The victim, Zechariah Trevino, was killed while trying to protect his cousin, Mia Dominguez, who is currently in the hospital. A suspect, who is believed to be a PHS student, was arrested on Saturday the 21st.

Police presence has increased around the school, with at least one officer guarding each entrance. Also, there will be increased metal detectors and bag checks to prevent guns from getting into the school. For at least this week, the Library has been made into a safe room where students can have a place to talk to one of the counselors if they need it. The Library will be closed to regular use.

According to Paschal administration, there will be no interruption of after school activities or lunch. School routines will remain as normal as possible. 

Social media plays an important role in the lives of paschal students. After the shooting, many kids took to social media to share their condolences to the victims and their families. The Pantherette asks that if you chose to post about the shooting, that you remain respectful and sympathetic to victims.

There is a confidential reporting system called Friends 4 Life. It can be accessed by calling 817-469-TIPS or you can download the Friends 4 Life app to live chat or give information online. All of these options are completely anonymous.

Again, students and community members who could like to come together are invited to tonight’s vigil.