The Growing Popularity of Soccer in the U.S.

USA Mens Soccer Team for the 2022 Fifa World Cup.

USA Men’s Soccer Team for the 2022 Fifa World Cup.

John-Luke Chidgey, Reporter

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world. With 4 Billion fans and 250 million pro players, soccer takes the cake for the world’s favorite pastime. But is Soccer in the U.S. growing in popularity like it is for the rest of the World?

Chip Haro, English Teacher and Freshman Soccer Coach for Paschal High School said, “ Absolutely” soccer is becoming more popular in the U.S. “ Soccer has always been a popular game for kids, but the exposure of the professional games on all the different channels and Social Media has made a huge difference [for where] you can watch all the best Soccer”.

Soccer or Fútbol is one of the fastest growing sports in the U.S. since the start of the MLS (Major League Soccer) in 1993 and according to Universals own Telemundo  “Fútbol was estimated to grow in popularity by 50% between 2012 and 2019.”

There are close to 95 million fans of soccer in the U.S. which is only 20% of the Worlds fan base and is the highest it’s ever been. The big question is will soccer be as big in the U.S.as it is in Europe. Haro adds,“Soccer to Europe is Basketball and Football in the U.S, but I believe Soccer will take over sports such as Baseball and Hockey”. Could soccer be the Future of Sports in The U.S.?  Could baseball and hockey be phased out? The facts show that it could.