Frozen 2: Is It Time for Disney to “Let it Go?” (I’m genuinely sorry)

Mia Abbe, News Editor

Over Thanksgiving Break, I (and most of the children of Fort Worth) went to see Frozen 2.  If you want to see the movie, but are wondering if it is worth spending your hard earned dollars, read this article.

I went into the movie with mixed expectations.  The teaser trailer for the movie, which was released in February of this year, seemed promising.  In fact, it looked more like an adventure movie than a Disney movie. While the movie looked good, I couldn’t forget about the Frozen short that precluded the live action Cinderella in 2015, Frozen Fever.  Frozen Fever was extremely cheesy and represented what Frozen might become if the writers and producers were not careful, a half baked story combined with a catchy song and an overdose of references to the first movie, designed to bring in revenue.  With all this in my head, I sat down in the squishy Movie Tavern seats to watch the movie.

It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.  That being said, it also wasn’t as good as the first movie.  But that’s normally to be expected with sequels, especially sequels of big hits like Frozen.  The plotline of Frozen 2 was interesting, providing a good story for both young kids and adults.  After all, the original Frozen came out in 2013, which was six years ago. The kids who probably watched and enjoyed Frozen as kids are in middle school and high school now (I was eleven years old when I saw Frozen.  I’m currently seventeen).  

However, the original movie contained more bops.  I can’t even remember the majority of songs from Frozen 2 (though this may have something to do with my old age) except for Show Yourself and Into the Unknown.  While both of these songs, which are both sung by Elsa, are catchy and guaranteed to stick in your head, none have the same effect as “Let it Go”. Kristoff’s only song, Lost in the Woods, was purposefully cheesy, and it was refreshing to see Disney embracing the cheesiness of their movies.  Unfortunately, other parts of the movie that may have been intended to be funny, or even serious, came off as plain cringey. I won’t tell you what those parts are, in case you decide to go see the movie.  

The Paschal population seemed to have mixed opinions on the article.  

“It’s a Disney movie meant for 7 year old girls so I didn’t go in with high expectations but even then I was disappointed,” Junior Henry Pitcock said.

“I’m going to need to write a rebuttal of your article,” Pantherette copy editor Emma Henry said. 

To sum it up: Would I watch Frozen 2 again?  No, at least not for a very long time. Would I spend money to go see it?  Personally, I would wait until it was available for rental. Finally, will I be listening to the original Frozen soundtrack on the way home?  Yes, yes I will.