Holiday Movie Madness

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker movie poster from StarWars.com

Emma Henry, Copy Editor

The holiday season is one of the biggest movie-release times of the year, and 2019 is no exception. Frozen 2 was one of the most popular movies released in November, kicking off the holiday/Hollywood season, and December won’t disappoint. Jumanji: The Next Level was released on December 13 starring Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Karen Gillan, other big-time stars in the sequel to the 2017 popular film Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle. 

This Friday (the 20th) will be a big day for movie releases with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the highly anticipated finale to the most recent three Star Wars films, coming out. Cats, the Broadway musical-turned-movie starring the likes of James Corden, Judi Dench, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, Taylor Swift, and many more, will also be released on the 20th, as well as Bombshell, based the story of several women at Fox News attempting to expose their CEO for sexual harassment, starring Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, and Margot Robbie. 

Christmas Day will bring the release of Little Women, starring Saoirse Ronan, Laura Dern, Meryl Streep, Emma Watson, and Timothee Chalamet, and Spies in Disguise starring Will Smith and Tom Holland. 

So why exactly is the holiday season such a popular time to release movies? There isn’t one concrete reason, but several Paschal students weighed in on the matter.

“I think this is the best month for movies to be released because there is such an abundance of holiday spirit,” said sophomore David Garcia. “There is a desire for more and more developers to give a film experience at these times, and more people are willing to go see them in theaters.”

“I think this is such a popular time for movies to be released because people want to spend time with family doing fun indoor things instead of being cold outside,” said junior Abby Jenkins.

“December is such a popular time to release movies because most schools let out for break during this month,” said sophomore Emma Milton, “Movies are also a great way to bring people together the same way the holiday season does.”

Some students feel that the holiday season is not a good time to release movies. “I think people are too caught up in shopping and doing Christmas and holiday things to go out to see movies,” said senior Fatima Albarran.

“I think the holiday season is a bad time to release movies because we focus on consumerism and commercial goods too much when we should be doing other things,” said senior Nina Williams, “But when people have family in town they want to do things together, like go see a movie, so it makes sense in that aspect.”

Regardless of their views on whether or not December is a good movie release month, all were looking forward to the movies coming out. 

“I’m excited for the new Star Wars movie considering the series has been getting rough and this will be the last one,” said David.

“I’m looking forward to seeing Star Wars because it has lots of action and is really unique,” said Fatima.

“I want to see Spies in Disguise because I like action and think that Will Smith is a really good actor,” said Abby.

“I’m definitely looking forward to Little Women because it’s a great book, I love Saoirse Ronan, and feminism!” said Nina.

“There are not really any movies coming out now in particular that I am looking forward to, but I am interested in seeing Star Wars because it’s the end of the “nonology” that so many people have come to love,” said Emma. “It has a lot of weight to carry.”

This holiday season there is a wide range of movies for nearly everyone, and it is safe to say that there will be many more movies released in the holiday seasons to come. займ на карту взять займ в росденьгизайм микроденьгизайм lime отзывы микрокредит займзайм на киви без процентовзайм 30 тысяч